Monday, November 15, 2010

The Golden Rule



One thing I would like to teach my children is the Golden Rule.
Yes, the famous rule we all learned in kindergarten...
I know we all remember hearing it, saying it, and learning it.

Wait, did we really learn it?

I am not so sure that we did, or more importantly that I did. I like to think that I think of others, and that I treat them the way that I want to be treated. But a lot of times I am so focused on how someone treated me, or worrying did someone think of me, that I am pretty sure I am not thinking of others because I am in the way. Our society has become so ME focused, and I am just as guilty as the next person.

I worry that our children's generation will suffer even more. I try to teach my children to think of others, to give to others, and to consider others feelings on a daily basis. But do they get the message? Am I teaching the message? Am I living the message so that they can learn by example?


This really hit me yesterday as I helped my oldest son put together a shoe box for a needy child for Christmas for the Operation Christmas Child program that his school is participating in. We chose to do a box for a little boy Jake's age. One of the items I purchased for the box was a football. Jake LOVES football so I thought it would be a perfect gift for another little boy. Jake asked if he could have the football for himself. Jake already has a football EXACTLY like the one I bought for the little boy. His reply... well this one is new, he would just give his old one away.

Hmmmmm...Really?

Well, we did not switch the footballs out (of course), and I tried to explain to Jake that this child probably did not have a football and might not get anything else for Christmas. I think he understood, then he asked what about Santa Claus? Wouldn't HE bring the boy something for Christmas? I think I need to try a little harder. Does he see me giving to others? Not for birthdays, Christmas, or other special occasions, but giving daily to others...


But this is not just about giving gifts, it is about treating others the way we want to be treated. In a world full of email and texting, are we losing the ability to really connect with people? Is sending someone a text message asking how they are, really the same as calling them or asking them in person? I like to text as much as the next person. It is convenient and fast, but it is hardly the only way I communicate with others, or is it? It honestly never crossed my mind until yesterday.

I recently joined a community bible study (thanks to a sweet friend of mine that helped get me in after it started). Yesterday when I got home, I had a message on my home phone, which rarely happens, and I did not recognize the number on caller ID. The message was from my group leader from Bible study. Her voice was so sweet and friendly, and she wanted NOTHING but to say she was thinking about me, hoped I was having a great week, and hoped to see me Wednesday. WOW. I know it sounds unimportant, and even simple, but knowing that she took the time to call meant a lot. She could have text me or emailed me, but she called. That took time on her part. She spent some of her time on me, someone she barely knows. Her calling meant a lot to me even though we did not speak. It made me feel special. I know it sounds crazy, but it did.




It made me think about how often I call my friends to check on them, send them a card, or let them know I love them. Not by a text message or an IM on facebook. Life gets so busy that we forget the important things while dealing with the mundane. I actually bought several cards over two months ago to mail to friends for no reason, just thought they would like to get a card in the mail. I have never mailed them. I have been too busy. Really?


I want to be better and set a better example for my children and for others. People are important and worth our time. Let's put the golden rule into practice. Forgive those who have hurt us, connect with those who need us, and love each other the way God wanted us to love.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I completely agree about texting and emailing (and I am just as guilty as anyone sometimes). I read an article that said the majority of teens today text as their primary form of communication replacing face to face conversation, phone calls, emails and even instant messaging. Sad. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of a good ole phone call or a face to face conversation. :)

    Also, I wrote a post a long time ago on instilling gratefulness in my children and am still struggling 2 years later.

    http://ksthompson.blogspot.com/2008/06/planting-seed-of-gratefulness.html

    Be encouraged....you are doing a great job as a mother!

    ReplyDelete